Public Policy Design - Foundations
About This Course
You have been tasked with finding a solution to a seemingly intractable policy challenge. There are myriad plausible policy solutions, but none are perfect and all involve some trade-offs. Does this sound familiar?
This course introduces you to a five-step policy design process, with practical toolkits at each step, to help you design policies that can work.
Take the course at your own pace
Approximately 4 hours
Fully online and self-paced - take the course anytime and anywhere
Obtain a Certificate of Achievement from CAG
No pre-requisites required
What You Will Learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand what policies are, and how they support the goals and priorities of the government
- Understand the policy design process in five steps, including the principles and practical toolkits at each step of the way
Who This Is For
Early- to mid- career public servants at all levels who are involved in policy design, and want to acquire tools and frameworks for doing so more effectively
Introduction to public policy design
- What is public policy
- Why is it important?
Key considerations in policy design
- Introducing the four main considerations in policy design
- Establishing the nexus between policy design and policy implementation
- Stakeholder communication and feedback
The policy design cycle
- Define / Redefine the Challenge
- Examine the Context
- Identify and evaluate policy options
- Design the execution system
- Seek approval for policy
Expert Contributors & Trainers
Former Special Assistant to the Deputy Prime Minister, senior Singapore Administrative Service officer;
Dean, Chandler Academy of Governance
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long do I have to access the course?
You will have access for one year.
What do pre-requisites mean?
Some courses require that you have a particular set of skills or knowledge before you begin the course. You are strongly encouraged to complete the pre-requisite course first if there is one listed on the course page.
Can I pay via other channels other than credit card, Google Pay and Apple Pay?
Unfortunately, not at the moment.